[wix-users] Alternative to WiX Patch

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 09:08:35 PST 2017

I think you're describing a patch here. You can't really deliver a patch as
an MSI since you don't have a full product only a subset.

I think the question you should be asking is what kind of upgrade do you
want to employ to deliver the updated file and new file. In my opinion, you
should always use major upgrades which should always be delivered as MSI.
Minor upgrades can be used as long as the component rules are adhered to
very strictly but it can be quite difficult to ensure the component rules
are always followed. Rob has a bunch of old blogs on the component rules.
http://robmensching.com/blog/posts/2003/10/18/component-rules-101/ is
probably a good place to start. Minor upgrades can be delivered as MSI or
MSP. I *think* the difference is that the MSI contains all product
resources while the MSP contains just the "diff". Small updates are weird
and more constrained than minor upgrades. I think they can only be
delivered as MSP.

--
Edwin G. Castro

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Ven H via wix-users <