[wix-users] Alternative to WiX Patch

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 07:40:21 PST 2017

I have an MSI, which adds a registry key, installs and starts some
services, installs a file and so on. Now, there is a requirement to update
one file and add a new file. I know we can create a Patch by creating a
difference / transform. But in my second MSI, I only want to include these
2 files (the updated one and the new one) and not the other files, probably
like a HotFix. I don't want to create a Patch. I did try to create a
separate MSI but with the same UpgradeCode but with a different Product ID
and a different version. But this creates a new entry in Programs and
Features. Also, while uninstalling this new MSI, it does rollback the new
file, but it doesn't rollback the modified file (this file was originally
created by the first MSI and modified by the second one). At least if it is
able to rollback and restore the state during uninstallation, it would have
been great. But it is not rolling back the modified file properly.Has
anyone come across this scenario? If so, have you been able to find a
solution without a Patch? Please help.

Regards,
Venkatesh