[wix-users] Question on Minor upgrade

John Zajac jzajac2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 13:40:20 PST 2017

My advice (proven by taking Christopher's advice a long time ago): ditch
the minor upgrade. Or at make sure you're getting value out them. IMHO,
they are more problematic than useful, and this issue you're encountering
is just one of a myriad of issues you'll likely encounter.

Usually some internal or external customers think patches and such are
'simpler', which is exactly the opposite in reality.

And yes even for very large installs (thousands of files), a well defined
Major Upgrade MSI is far more flexible and reliable.

I did get MSP patching with WiX Toolset to work great - fully automated
too. However it still comes with a high maintenance cost (and in my opinion
is a huge waste of money).

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Hoover, Jacob via wix-users <

> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/
> aa368364%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
>
> New components are ok but you cannot remove a component from an existing
> feature in a minor upgrade (unless you are going to restrict to 4.5+ and do
> extra work).

-John