[wix-users] Light command (for Patch) with Custom Dialog

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 06:01:02 PST 2017

I am working on creating a Patch. Looks like Visual Studio doesn't support
this. So, I am relying on command prompt. I have an existing WiX project in
Visual Studio, which has a Custom Dialog. Even though the project and its
files are in Visual Studio, I am not using (or able to use) Visual Studio
to create the MSI, rather relying on WiX commands like Candle, Light and so
on to generate the MSI and hence the patch. I also have a Util added for
creating user. Following are the commands I use

candle.exe -ext WiXUtilExtension -dProjectDir="D:\Projects\WiX\SampleMSI"
-dVersion=1.0.0 product.wxs

light.exe -ext WixUIExtension.dll -ext WiXUtilExtension.dll -sval
Product.wixobj -out 1.0.0\SampleMSI.msi

But the light command is giving error, as given below.

LGHT0094: Unresolved reference to symbol "Dialog:CustomDialogName" in
section ..."

Can anyone please help me fix this? Also, I was wondering if there is a way
to create patches in Visual Studio?

Regards,
Venkatesh