[wix-users] Custom Account to Install and Start a Custom Windows Server

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Fri Nov 10 06:40:50 PST 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf
Of Ven H via wix-users
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2017 6:11 AM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Ven H <venh.123 at gmail.com>
Subject: [wix-users] Custom Account to Install and Start a Custom Windows
Server

> I have built a custom windows service. I want to install and start this
> service through my WiX installer. I have added an account to the
> ServiceInstall element (domain\username) and the password. But when the
> installer runs, it fails with the message "The service failed to start.
> Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.".

Do exactly as the error suggests, add the correct permissions to the account.
The context a service runs under requires explicit permissions to run in that scenario.

Declare a User element and indicate the grant should be applied.

http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/xsd/util/user.html

LogonAsService: Indicates whether or not the user can logon as a service.

See the description for the element behavior with respect to creating or
modifying an existing user account.

jlc