[wix-users] Don't allow silent install if /norestart is not passed

Nikhil L niks9731 at gmail.com
Tue May 23 21:58:16 PDT 2017

Hello,

I have a burn bundle which has various exe and msi packages. One of those
packages has some changes that may need restart depending on underlying
hypervisor. Now in case of GUI installations, at the end of the
installation of the complete bundle it asks whether to go for a reboot or
not which is fine. But in case of silent installation it reboots and since
it is silent, there is no warning or anything.

I would like to control that behavior for silent install, by that I mean, I
would like to detect if there is no "/norestart" command passed then fail
the silent installation but if it is passed then allow it. I am trying to
figure out how to deduce that but unable to find something. I would have
hoped there would be some variable mapping of /norestart that I can see in
the logs but I don't find anything that I can use. I found the
"REBOOT=ReallySuppress" in the logs but irrespective if I initiate the
installation with "/norestart" or without it, I still see the same value
for REBOOT.

Any help in this regard would be great. Let me know if you have any
questions and I can clarify with some more details.

Thanks.