[wix-users] SFXCA: Failed to start the CLR

Jacques Eloff repstosd at gmail.com
Mon May 8 15:13:41 PDT 2017

Hi Christopher

Yes, I haven't really seen any issues with this CA or DTF. It was built
with 3.5, probably about 6 years ago and compiled into a wixlib and hasn't
been touched since. I haven't been able to reproduce it. The only issue I
recall seeing is where admins locked down the root web.config, but the
typically failure in those cases happen at the end of the CA when it
attempts to save the modifications to the file. This is failing before
InstallFiles when the initialize step to generate the custom action data
for the deferred CA that does the actual work is suppose to run.

The CustomAction.config file itself has the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
    <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
        <supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319"/>
    </startup>
</configuration>