[wix-users] SFXCA: Failed to start the CLR

Jacques Eloff repstosd at gmail.com
Mon May 8 14:31:45 PDT 2017

Hi

I've got a managed CA that I wrote years ago. I know, managed CAs are bad,
but this one actually fiddles with the root web.config so it's a necessary
evil. Recently a customer reported seeing the error below

SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory:
C:\Windows\Installer\MSI84B8.tmp-\
SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v4.0.30319
SFXCA: Failed to start the CLR. Error code 0x80070005

Typically when it runs successfully, you'd see something like

SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory:
C:\Windows\Installer\MSI1E57.tmp-\
SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v4.0.30319

The HRESULT has me puzzled since it indicates Access Denied. Could the
permissions on .NET be corrupted? Would running SubInAcl potentially fix it
or is there another option to consider exploring?

Thanks,
Jacques