[wix-users] Best Practice for a standard bootstrapper to uninstall an exepackage before Install

erwin john publico erwinjohnpublico at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 06:32:58 PDT 2017

Hi All,
I need my bootstrapper to uninstall any version of an exe-installer before installing a new one. The problem is that the exe itself doesn't support Upgrade and cannot be changed which is why we need to uninstall it first, before installing a new one. What would be the best practice to do this?
 I have thought of:

- Adding an MSI with custom actions to uninstall any previous version, or
- Create an exepackage but adding uninstall parameters on InstallCommand
Are there any other solutions that could make more sense, and what would be it?
Thanks,
Erwin