[wix-users] [EXTERNAL] - Re: Language condition on file?

Persson, Magnus (SE-TLX) magnus.persson at assaabloy.com
Mon Mar 27 23:47:39 PDT 2017

Hi,

Our software keeps text resources in a DLL and we do not switch language
at runtime. So if you install the Spanish text resource DLL the whole
application will be in Spanish.

InstallShield have the option to include multiple languages in a single
setup-file. You then select GUI language of the installer when launching
the setup-file. The language selected will the be available as a copy
conditional for each component and that's how you can control which
language resource DLL gets copied.
The downside of this is that the setup-file will be bigger since it will
contain all languages not just the language you want to install.

With WiX there will be one msi-file for each localization you add but
they will all contain the same files.
What I wanted was a way to conditionally include the language specific
files into the msi-file with the same culture.
This can be solves by adding one wix-project for each language. All
project will use the same wxs-files but the ones that include language
specific components so there will not be duplicate code.
But it would be nice if I could do it without multiple project files.

If the culture can be checked via a CustomAction, a property could be
set which would be a condition for the component.
All resource DLLs will have to be included but only the single one which
meets the above condition set by the CA will be copied.
Can the msi-culture be read in a CustomAction?

I'll take a deeper look into the MediaTemplate element to see if that
can do the trick.

Thanks,
Magnus

. The only thing I'm after here is that the msi with installer dialogs
in Spanish should include the Spanish DLL in the installation folder.