[wix-users] Generating boot strapper files

Graham Allwood graham.allwood at live.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 03:01:10 PDT 2017

Hi,

I have been using Wix v3 and VS 2015 for some time. I have an existing wix proj file that ultimately builds me a bootsrapper setup.exe file.

My wixproj file contained the following in the AfterBuild Task

  <Target Name="AfterBuild">
    <ItemGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Release|x86' ">
      <!-- Add bootstrapper items here -->
      <BootstrapperFile Include="Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8">
        <ProductName>Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8</ProductName>
      </BootstrapperFile>
      <BootstrapperFile Include="Microsoft.SQL.Server.2014.System.CLR.Types">
        <ProductName>Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types</ProductName>
      </BootstrapperFile>
      <BootstrapperFile Include="Microsoft.SQL.Server.2012.Native.Client">
        <ProductName>Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client</ProductName>
      </BootstrapperFile>
      <BootstrapperFile Include="Windows.Installer.4.5">
        <ProductName>Windows Installer 4_5</ProductName>
      </BootstrapperFile>
    </ItemGroup>

    <GenerateBootstrapper ApplicationFile="MyApp.msi"
                          ApplicationName="MyApp"
                          BootstrapperItems="@(BootstrapperFile)"
                          ComponentsLocation="Relative"
                          CopyComponents="True"
                          OutputPath="$(OutputPath)"
                          Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\SDK\Bootstrapper"
                          ApplicationRequiresElevation="True"
                          Culture="en-US"
                          Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Release|x86' " />

However, after installing VS2017 and removing VS2015 I no longer have the SDK\Bootstrapper\setup.bin file required by the GenerateBootStrapper target!!

Should I be using Bundles now?

Does anyone know if MS have stopped providing these setup.bin files? I can’t find it in the VS2017 install anywhere!

All the above pre-requisites have their own package files, if I moved to a Bundle would I have to effectively re-write the ‘detection’ rules for when to determine if something is already installed etc.

Sorry for all the questions!!!

Thanks

Graham