[wix-users] Force Update of Specific File(s) During Major Upgrade

Brian Enderle brianke at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 05:51:17 PST 2017

I have a scenario where during a Major upgrade I want to maintain some
config file that were modified by the user but not others.  This product
relies on up to date tax codes so those config files should be updated no
matter what during a major upgrade.  Other files, like database settings,
should not be updated.

I am using the Schedule = "afterInstallExecute" which correctly maintains
the files that should not be updated (db configs), but is not updating the
files that should be updated (tax configs).

Is there a way to force an update (thinking of opposite of NeverOverwrite
on the Component)?

Alternatively, I do have a CA that runs before CostFinalize.  If I delete
the files that must be updated at that point would that solve the issue
without causing some other issue(s)?

The CA makes a backup of the existing config files in case there is an
issue during install so I would not lose anything if I deleted the files at
that point.

Thanks,

Brian

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.  -
Albert Einstein