[wix-users] Burn Bundles, same version different Ids

Isaac Devine isaac at smilesoftware.com
Thu Jun 8 22:15:33 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I currently have a burn bundle which downloads the Chained Packages and
installs them if needed.

I'm wanting to provide a completely offline self-contained installer as
well.

I'm thinking I will use wix preprocessor variables to change the Compressed
attribute on the ExePackage/MsiPackage elements to either 'yes' or 'no'.
Then my build script will build it twice, with the different option set.

So in effect, my build will produce two burn executables:
 a) One which downloads the packages on demand
 b) One which includes all the packages.

My understanding however, is that by doing this I will have two bundles,
with the same version number and *different* bundle ids. The consequence of
this, is that if a user runs both they will have two entries in Add/Remove
Programs. Am I correct in this?

I'm wanting the bundles to be interchangable from the POV of the end-user,
to ease support.

>From https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/3746/ it seems to talk
about a possible solution, but that requires changes to Wix itself.

>From looking at the documentation, I can see <RelatedBundle> elements, but
I'm unsure of how they would apply in this case.

Is there a way to set the Id explicitly?

What do I need to do, to stop the bundles from appearing in ARP "twice"?

Thanks,
Isaac