[wix-users] Debug Managed Bootstrapper

Mark Olbert Mark at arcabama.com
Thu Jun 8 08:05:24 PDT 2017

Okay, I figured out the problem. Should’ve just searched on the exception code error message.

When you migrate a project to the VS 2017 csproj format, building generates a number of error messages about duplicate attributes in the AssemblyInfo.cs file. I’ve resolved those in other projects by just deleting the AssemblyInfo.cs file (could’ve just commented out the offending lines, but removing the file itself doesn’t seem to cause any problems elsewhere).

But with a bootstrapper app you have to have the assembly: BootstrapperApplication(… attribute.

So deleting AssemblyInfo.cs removes that attribute, causing the problem I encountered.

Too bad the wix loader doesn’t provide a more helpful error message. Is there a away to suggest that the loader scan for the required attribute and, if it’s not found, say something like “No BootstrapperApplication found; have you marked the user interface assembly with…”?

  *   Mark