[wix-users] Solved? Puzzling issue with an msi's RegistrySearch...

Lewis Henderson henderso at opentext.com
Thu Jun 1 07:58:16 PDT 2017

Hi Guys,

Thanks Nir and Rod,

Changing the RegistrySearch to Type="raw" worked, but why?  Does Type="directory" not only check the registry for a value but also do an implicit search for the referenced directory?  In my case, the directory didn't exist, but I didn't expect it to check for that.

The doc says that if the child is a DirectorySearch, the type must be "directory", but says nothing about requiring a DirectorySearch child (or any child) if the type is "directory".  Type="file" does contain some specifics about child requirements, so I'd consider this a documentation bug at the very least.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

				Lewis