[wix-users] Simple exe wrapper for msi

Don Caton dcaton1220 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 13:25:39 PDT 2017

The point of this exercise is to get rid of the 10 year old version of
InstallShield once and for all.

Also, I needed to add a checkbox to the Verify Ready dialog, a
straightforward process with a bit of XML. If I use burn, I don't see that
checkbox in its UI, so I have to set DisplayInternalUI="yes", and I end up
with a pointless UI from burn that just invokes the UI in the msi.

In order to eliminate the superfluous UI I'd have to figure out how to add
that checkbox to the burn UI (with no documentation to help) and in the end
I'd end up with a UI in burn equivalent to the UI I already customized in
the msi with relative ease. A lot of work with no real benefit, far as I
can see.

Now if burn's UI could be declared via XML (as opposed to just "theming"
the hard-coded definition) then that would be a different story.

I really don't see that this is a unusual scenario.  Not every install
needs a complex bootstrapper, prerequisites or a complex, custom UI.