[wix-users] Simple exe wrapper for msi

Don Caton dcaton1220 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 10:59:19 PDT 2017

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I've searched the
archives as well as a general internet search and have come up empty handed.

I'm converting an old InstallShield installer to Wix.  I've got the msi
created, but InstallShield has the ability to generate an exe wrapper
around the msi.  Wix seems to have no equivalent.

I don't want burn's UI because it's completely different than the msi UI.
I guess I could create a custom burn UI that mimics the msi's UI but then
I'd have to maintain two different UI's, and there seems to be very little
documentation for burn.  I have no need for any other of burn's features
and I'd rather not waste time learning burn just to create a duplicate UI
that I don't want in the first place.

Seems to me that this isn't all that unusual of a requirement, yet I can't
see how to do that with burn.  Is is possible to create a bootstrapper with
no UI at all?  Alternative I suppose is to just write something in C++.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.