[wix-users] heat generates different wxs after compiler change of our com dll

robert_yang at agilent.com robert_yang at agilent.com
Thu Jul 27 12:00:29 PDT 2017

Another tool you might look into is RegSpy2 - it does something similar to Heat, but initializes the registry with the ATL registrar, and creates a .reg output.  It's a bit obscure, but google should pull up some info.  That should allow you to figure out what is actually different between the two DLL's.  You might be able to use that info to correct the problem in your new DLL.

I actually haven't dealt with harvesting COM object registrations for years, so I can't say if there has been a recent regression in Heat or not.

It might also be interesting to look at the Wix code which does the harvesting: check out \src\ext\UtilExtension\wixext, specifically RegistryHarvester.cs, DllHarvester.cs, UtilHarvesterMutator.cs and their friends ...

-Rob