[wix-users] heat generates different wxs after compiler change of our com dll

Zoli P zoli289 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 26 06:50:43 PDT 2017

Hi,

we use wix 3.0.5210.0 to make the installer for our project.

Short summary:
heat.exe generates different output for a dll com library, if we compile
the same source with VC++2008 and VC++2015.

Longer summary:
Heat is executed automatically from command prompt after compiling our
project, which consist of a lot of com dlls (as well, also .net with com
visible). It worked fine.
Then we upgraded our compiler from VS2008 to VS2015.
After it, heat generates different wxs for the com/.net components, however
we run the same version with same options. This causes duplicate key issues
later.

Please find more details here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45240538/wix-heat-
exe-generates-different-output-after-vs2008-vs2015-upgrade

Has anyone experienced this, what could be the reason?

Thanks,
 Zoli