[wix-users] How do I install Wix on machine with doNet 4.x ONLY?

Albertsen, Ketil Ketil.Albertsen at nordicsemi.no
Tue Jul 18 07:03:11 PDT 2017

The most recent 4.x release seems to be free of dotNet 3.5 dependencies: 4.0.0.5205 would not install on a dotNet 4.x only machine, a new Win10, but 4.0.0.5512 installs OK.

However, the  Wix Toolset Visual Studio 2017 Extension fails, requiring Wix toolset 3.11, which in turn requires dotNet 3.5. The 3.11 requirement is clearly stated on the download page: "You will still need to install the WiX Toolset v3.11 build tools."

Does this imply that there is no way to run a VS 2017 Wix project without installing dotNet 3.5?

We are in a (slow) migration process to Win10, and have made a principal decision about not installing obsolete software on the Win10 machines, in order to keep the sw configurations as clean as possible. While we could, in principle, deviate from this rule on a few selected machines (we only have a couple of VS lisences; is it not our primary IDE), we need to keep the machines running VS "clean" in order to detect dependencies. So installing dotNet 3.5 is NOT considered a viable option.

Is running WiX 4.0.0.5512 outside of VS, i.e. from a batch file, the only option at the current? Or is there some trick to make Wix 4 integrate with VS2017 on a Win10 machine with dotNet only?

keal