[wix-users] MSI dialogs are being hidden

Jon Earle earlej at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 14 08:54:46 PDT 2017

I noticed that, when installing an MSI via wixstdba, that, dialogs coughed up by the MSI are not being shown.

This is with wix 3.10.3.

First time I noticed this, was with a dialog from a custom action.  I decided to just get rid of it and the problem "went away".  It has come back now.  We have decided (for "reasons") to disallow upgrades and downgrades. We simply want a notification that, there is an existing installed copy of the program.  The dialog used to show, until recently... I'm thinking, on this box, probably around when the Win10 Creator Update floated in.

So, why are msi dialogs being suppressed by the bootstrapper?  I can run the msi itself and see the dialog, hence my knowing that, that's the problem.  Is there a way to alter the behaviour within the stdba / msi chain to repair things?  Custom bootstrapper is not in the cards at this time.  Prototype is done, but the PO wants nothing to do with it now, so, we are stuck.

Cheers!

Jon