[wix-users] Tricks and Tips on Automating Builds and Releases with VSTS Team Build 2015 and WiX

Wheeler, Blaine (DSHS/DCS) BWheeler at dshs.wa.gov
Thu Jul 13 14:26:38 PDT 2017

I have a similar world to yours.   We use VisualBuildPro from www.kinook.com to order, aggregate and trigger steps.   In effect it is out build definition.

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Anna Flyam | Landtech
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 12:41 PM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List
Subject: [wix-users] Tricks and Tips on Automating Builds and Releases with VSTS Team Build 2015 and WiX

If every app is a .net application it's easy to create one build definition that builds all the app, but it gets interesting if you need to build/package/deploy VB6 legacy applications, .net solution, and WiX solution.
We have 3 different build processes that get source code from 3 different Team Projects in VS Version Control. One for .net apps, one for VB6 legacy applications, and one for Installer (includes WiX setup projects, Custom Actions project, and the custom manged BA). When you have process that has segregated elements, they somehow need to be brought together.

Are you utilizing the REST APIs provided by VSTS within a Poweshell script to create a Master build that calls other builds? Are there any good samples?
Do you have tips and tricks that you can share on how to put it all together using VSTS Team Build 2015?

Thanks in advance,
Anna

PS: We are refactoring a very large pre-MSI process and I can use your advice in order to do it efficiently and avoid serious mistakes.