[wix-users] Building Wix project for sameagain

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Mon Jan 30 07:54:41 PST 2017

There are many different ways to do this.

One approach is like described here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14139154/using-msbuild-extension-pack-and-assemblyinfo-to-automate-the-version-number-wh

 except that rather than writing the info out for use in an AssemblyInfo, you write the details into a .wxl file, as xml, and include the .wxl in your bundle project.  The Wix source also has some examples of writing version info to a .wxl file.  Generally however this involves writing a MSBuild ITask function and integrating it into your build process.  I think Wix has an auto-increment version function (originally defined at https://wixextba.codeplex.com/) , but if you do multiple builds on a single day they will still have the same version and result in multiple arp entries, so I do not use that approach.

Having said the above, about incrementing the bundle's version, none of this will make a MSI use all four parts of the MSI's {Product Version as in your example.  That just simply won't work in any MSI context due to Microsoft's design rules.

Phill