[wix-users] Burn automatic rollback on installer failure

Tyler Gustafson tgustafson at solacom.com
Wed Jan 25 07:51:22 PST 2017

Hmm.

I have never been able to just run the repair on the bootstrapper it's self. Doing that just seems to ignore the products that are now a higher version number due to the failed update. I did have a mailing list question about that a while back as well but when I tried to attach logs and source code the email bounced back saying it was too large and an admin would have to manually approve it.

For those following along, I've figured out my issue and my bundle now preforms as Blair suggested it should with product #2 rolling back automatically and leaving me with just product #1 to manually run repair on (although I do have to repair product#1 and not the bootstrapper it's self). It turns out my purposely failing custom action was scheduled after InstallFinalize which I believe is beyond the rollback boundary. When I schedule it after InstallFiles it works as I was hoping.

I also found that if I include the minor upgrades in the bootstrapper as msp instead of msi, the bootstrapper knows enough to properly roll back product #1 after product #2 fails so I've got my required robustness as long as I use patches instead of full installers.

Thanks for the help!
Tyler