[wix-users] Obfuscation and patching.

Tyler Gustafson tgustafson at solacom.com
Wed Jan 25 07:36:35 PST 2017

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but we have automatically rolling build numbers on our assemblies and I didn't want to fuss with manually using the PatchFamily stuff and risk missing something I should have actually included. As a result I include everything in a patch but a lot of the files are only different by build number. I found that if I create delta patches, that build number change is very insignificant to the patch file size and so I don't mind having a delta for each of my assemblies included in the patch.

This strategy saves on human error, allows automation, and shows all of the assemblies as updated on the end user's system after applying the patch. It may not be appropriate in your scenario with obfuscation though, unless the obfuscation only changes the file when there has been an actual code change.

Small deltas good, big deltas may as well have been an MSI.