[wix-users] Payload equivalent for MSI

Fyodor Koryazhkin fyodorkor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 22:41:41 PST 2017

Hi,
There can be other approaches to this problem:
1. If you know exact set of user configurable items then you can read them
from configuration file at the beginning of installation, replace the file
with the one brought with upgrade and then reconfigure it with values read
at the beginning. This approach good if the user configures a few entries
and this set is quite constant.
2. You can include in your installation 2 files: first of them is fully new
file that is used for clean installation and the second contains only
changes (new entries) compared to original one and then during upgrade you
merge them thus keeping user configuration untouched.

Both approaches require writing a bunch of custom code.

Regards,
Fyodor Koryazhkin..