[wix-users] Burn error with large MSI product versions

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Fri Jan 13 12:15:02 PST 2017

The other package's version is not just too large, it's completely invalid: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370859(v=vs.85).aspx

From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Joel Budreau
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 12:13 PM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Subject: [wix-users] Burn error with large MSI product versions

I have an MSI that I want to package into a burn bootstrapper. My MSI has
UpgradeCode references to a different product. I only want to detect if the
other product is installed or not. When I run my custom BA I see the
following log message:

Error 0x800200a: Failed to convert version: 3.6.0.4208657 to DWORD64 for
ProductCode: ...
Detect failed for package: <my package> ...

So, it looks like the detect phase of my new bootstrapper will fail because
some other product is using a build number that's too large.

What's the recommended workaround here? Use some other mechanism besides
the Upgrade table to detect if the other product is installed?

Thanks,
Joel