[wix-users] Features that share installation paths

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Sat Jan 7 13:55:20 PST 2017

If you're interested, we created a much different approach to harvesting at FireGiant: https://www.firegiant.com/wix/wep-documentation/harvesting/

May work well for your situation. It's part of our WiX Expansion Pack: https://www.firegiant.com/products/wix-expansion-pack/

From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Joseph L. Casale
Sent: Saturday, January 7, 2017 9:14 AM
To: 'WiX Toolset Users Mailing List' <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Subject: Re: [wix-users] Features that share installation paths

Hi Blair,
No identical files, just similar destination base paths.

For now I pass a transform to drop the outermost containing DirectoryRef with ID='TARGETDIR'
then convert all of its Directory elements to DirectoryRef elements, the IDs are known as they are the directory name capitalized so it's pretty basic.

The downside is when a new feature is added, I possibly have to extend the Directory fragment in the main product.wxs.

This seemed to be the simplest however I imagine there is a better way still.

Thanks,
jlc