[wix-users] ETA for WiX 3.11 release?

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Wed Jan 4 18:30:17 PST 2017

I've been able to easily (manually)  get WiX v3.10.3 to work on VS 2017 CE.    I now have enough to take a snapshot and work on getting IsWiX to install on top of VS/WIX.

Here are my notes:

Starting Point:

Server 2016  with only .NET 4.6 preinstalled and VS 2017 Community Edition RC.

step1:

Using WiX 3.10.3 bits from my development machine, I followed the procedures that I outlined back in 2013 changing the directory names (easy to find) and version number to 17.0

http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/Using-WiX-3-7-Votive-with-VS2013-RC-td7589257.html

result:

Launched VS and the WiX project templates appeared.  However, I got an error when I tried to create a setup project saying that the wix.targets wasn't in VS 2017 CE's private MSBuild directory.

(The imported project "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\Wix.Targets" was not found.

step 2: copy targets to private msbuild directory inside visual studio 2017

result:

I was able to create the setup project but I got an error when I attempted to build it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\wix2010.targets(1988,5): error MSB4062: The "GenerateCompileWithObjectPath" task could not be loaded from the assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.10\bin\\WixTasks.dll. Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Build.Utilities, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Confirm that the <UsingTask> declaration is correct, that the assembly and all its dependencies are available, and that the task contains a public class that implements Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask.
Done building project "SetupProject2.wixproj" -- FAILED.

step 3:  Install .NET 2.0/3.5 windows component

result:  successfully built setup project