[wix-users] Intermittent failed installation - Insufficient Privileges

Vincent Beausoleil vbeausoleil at landr.com
Thu Feb 23 12:55:04 PST 2017

Hello,

Here is my current setup:

WiX Version:

Wix 3.10

.NET Version: .NET 4.5.1

Visual Studio:

VS 2013 x86

Package running on: Windows Server 2012 Standard

I am deploying my MSI installer through a continuous delivery server. The installation takes place on a server where the deployed application is already running. The installer stops the application service then attempts to access the app directory under C:\Program Files (x86)\(my application path) but about 10% of the deployments fail due to insufficient privileges on that specific path. On an hypothetical batch of 30 servers 2 will fail while the next deployment could take place without issue. The intermittent nature of this issue is driving me crazy.

When this occurs, I launch a new deployment for the affected servers and it succeeds. The user account under which the installation takes place is NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and I confirmed that this account has full control over the relevant directory. The failures aren’t limited to specific servers and the affected servers aren’t any different from the servers where the installation is successful.

I’m giving this mailing list a shot since after looking around, I found other cases of WiX users having the same intermittent “insufficient privileges” issue, but no word on wether or not it’s a known issue.

Thanks,

V Beausoleil