[wix-users] Bundle fails to acquire payloads

Jacques Eloff repstosd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 14:13:11 PST 2017

Hi

We shipped a web based bundle (99% of the content is downloaded on demand).
A number of customers have reported errors like

[3838:28C0][2016-07-06T09:31:13]e000: Error 0x80072efd: Unknown HTTP status
code 0, returned from URL: ...

When they copy/paste the URL directly into their browser they can
successfully download the package.

I've tried to gather some environmental information. Some of them only run
Windows Defender and no firewall settings, other have 3rd party AV
software. OS versions cover 8, 8.1 and 10

I seem to recall the engine issues two requests, the first to obtain
metadata of the package before starting the actual download. I'm guessing
something must be blocking the first requests, but each time I ask whether
they have any settings blocking outgoing requests the answer is a definite
NO.

Is it possible it gets blocked at their ISP? But if so, why can they
directly access the URLs? The 0 status code also has me stumped.

In case it matters, the bundles were built using WiX 3.10 (RTM), but I
think we saw errors like these when we used 3.9 as well. I'm pretty sure
it's environmental as we're seeing this on less than 1% of our customers'
machines. I just don't know what else could be causing it other than
firewalls and AV software (or what other remedy to suggest).

Thanks,
Jacques