[wix-users] Where did this component come from!?

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:51:20 PST 2017

I understand this is not a WiX question but rather a Windows Installer
question. Please let me know if there is a better place I can ask this
question. I've asked here because there are a lot of folks with lots
of experience with Windows Installer. I apologize for the noise.

I'm looking at a verbose log from our installer and I found a
component that I wasn't expecting!

MSI (s) (38:00) [09:53:15:264]: Feature: DefaultFeature; Installed:
Absent;   Request: Local;   Action: Local
MSI (s) (38:00) [09:53:15:264]: Component: service.exe; Installed:
Absent;   Request: Local;   Action: Local
MSI (s) (38:00) [09:53:15:264]: Component: __service.exe65; Installed:
Null;   Request: Local;   Action: Local

I expected service.exe to appear in the log BUT I did NOT expect
__service.exe65!

This is a "clean" install attempt _after_ the product was previously
installed and uninstalled on a test system.

I've opened up the MSI in InstEdit and checked the Component table to
ensure it contained all the expected rows. I see the service.exe
component as expected. The __service.exe65 component does not exist in
the Component table.

Does anybody have any clue as to where this "phantom" component may be
coming from?

--
Edwin G. Castro