[wix-users] CustomAction does not seem to be called from the msi

Urban Olars urban.olars at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 04:25:01 PST 2017

Sorry for bringing this topic up again. It seems like it should be possible
to get it working even when the execution of the custom action is inside
the <InstallExecuteSequence> element so that is what I have spent a lot of
time on now to accomplish. After studying the log file it seems like it
doesn't matter how early I schedule the execution of the custom action to
happen, since the definition of the directory structure inside the
<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir"> element has already happened by
that time. I haven't been able to figure out why it is like that. I tried
the suggestion from Tom Brezinski too but it did not solve the problem. It
could be that I did something wrong of course, I don't know.
Instead I have tried to create a workaround, and eventually I got it
working. I don't feel fully comfortable doing it like this though even if
it works, so that is why I want to post it to this email group to hopefully
get some feedback. This is all code I have in my *.wxs file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
 <Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi">

<!-- Defines & Variables
-->
  <?define ProductName = "WXTest"?>
<?define ProductVersion = "0.0.1"?>
<?define ProductUpgradeCode = "015AAC21-8B82-439E-8EF4-39B9D099E7DE"?>
<?define ProductID = "*" ?>
<?define PackageID = "*" ?>
<?define Manufacturer = "My Company" ?>

<Product Id="$(var.ProductID)" Name="$(var.ProductName)" Language="1033"
Version="$(var.ProductVersion)" Manufacturer="$(var.Manufacturer)"
UpgradeCode="$(var.ProductUpgradeCode)" >
<Package Id="$(var.PackageID)" InstallerVersion="400" Compressed="yes"
InstallScope="perMachine"  Description="$(var.ProductName)"
Comments="Windows Installer Package" Platform="x64"/>

<Media Id="1" Cabinet="product.cab" EmbedCab="yes" />
       <Icon Id="ProductIcon" SourceFile=".\res\WXTest.ico"/>
<Property Id="ARPPRODUCTICON" Value="ProductIcon"/>
<Property Id="ARPNOMODIFY" Value="1"/>
<Property Id="PREVIOUSVERSIONSINSTALLED" Secure="yes" />
<Upgrade Id="$(var.ProductUpgradeCode)">
<UpgradeVersion Minimum="$(var.ProductVersion)" OnlyDetect="yes"
Property="NEWERVERSIONDETECTED"/>
<UpgradeVersion Minimum="0.0.0" Maximum="$(var.ProductVersion)"
Property="OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED" IncludeMinimum="yes"
IncludeMaximum="no" />
</Upgrade>
<Condition Message="A newer version of this software is already
installed.">NOT NEWERVERSIONDETECTED</Condition>

<Binary Id="CAICRoot"
SourceFile="..\CustomActions\CustomActions\bin\Release\CustomActions.dll" />
<CustomAction Id="IronCADRootDirectory" BinaryKey="CAICRoot"
DllEntry="GetICRootDir" Execute="immediate" HideTarget="no" Return="check"/>
<CustomAction Id='PropertyAssignWXDir' Property='APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY'
Value="[ICROOTDIR]\WXtest" />
                <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
<Directory Id="INSTALLDIR">
<Directory Id="APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY" Name="$(var.ProductName)"/>
                        </Directory>
                </Directory>
               <DirectoryRef Id="APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY">
<Directory Id="Executablesdir" Name="bin">
<Component Id="FileBin1" Guid="4511011C-5D98-4EBD-BEE4-9C3610DE9B49"
Win64="yes">
<File Id="BinFile1" Source=".\bin\WXTestDoc.txt" KeyPath="yes"
Checksum="no"/>
</Component>
</Directory>
               </DirectoryRef>

<InstallExecuteSequence>
<Custom Action="IronCADRootDirectory" Before="LaunchConditions"/>
<Custom Action="PropertyAssignWXDir" After="IronCADRootDirectory"/>
<RemoveExistingProducts Before="InstallInitialize"></RemoveExistingProducts>
</InstallExecuteSequence>
<Feature Id="DefaultFeature" Level="1">
<ComponentRef Id="FileBin1"/>
</Feature>
   </Product>
</Wix>

I use a custom action to assign a value to APPLICATIONROOTDIRECTORY. It
works but it doesn't look pretty. I doesn't look like any of the Wix
samples I have found on internet so I guess that there has to be a better
solution to it.

This is how I build my msi:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.10\bin\candle" "WXTest.wxs"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.10\bin\light" "WXTest.wixobj"

I don't use any UI for my installer.

Best regards
Urban Olars

/Urban Olars