[wix-users] Restrict access to a folder generated using wix installer

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Fri Feb 10 05:34:05 PST 2017

One approach that you might use is to:

1) On a representative target system, create the folder and use the Windows tools to set the permissions as you desire.

2) In a admin CMD box run the cacls.exe /S  (OS tool) to generate a SDDL string which describes the permissions on the folder.

https://ss64.com/nt/cacls.html

3) In your Wix authoring use PermissionEx/@Sddl

4) Use Internet documentation of SDDL to modify the generated SDDL as needed and then test the results carefully since doing this impacts security of the system.

http://www.lewisroberts.com/2010/09/16/getting-started-with-sddl/

https://jorgequestforknowledge.wordpress.com/2008/03/26/parsing-sddl-strings/