[wix-users] Restrict access to a folder generated using wix installer

Nikhil L niks9731 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 22:21:03 PST 2017

My use case is to run a msi package which creates a folder, in addition to
doing other things, which should be accessible only to the Administrators.
I tried using the util:PermissionEx element but the wix page for the
PermissionEx element doesn’t really tell about what do different attributes
do. I tried various things, one eg below, but I was still able to access
the created folder from both administrator and a non-admin user account.

<Directory Id=“TmpDir” Name=“TmpDir”>

<Component Id="CreateDir" Guid=“<>">

        <CreateFolder>

          <util:PermissionEx User="Users" Read="no" GenericRead="no”/> <!—
Tried different combinations here —>

        </CreateFolder>

      </Component>

      </Directory>

Any help as to what should I do to achieve what I have stated above. Let me
know if my question is unclear and I can explain in a more detail or in a
different way.