[wix-users] Does WixUI_Advanced create a dual mode package?

Matthew Palermo matt.r.palermo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 21:35:48 PST 2017

I am confused about the meaning of the InstallScopeDlg in the WixUI_Advanced
dialog set
<http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/wixui/dialog_reference/wixui_advanced.html>.
The documentation for the WixUI_Advanced seems to me to imply that the
installation can be either perUser or perMachine depending upon the user's
choice at run time. Although when I tried to use it, I could get it to
behave correctly. I opened Issue #5481
<https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/5481> in the wixtoolset github
repo where I describe the problem in further detail and provide code
examples. Two members replied but gave contradictory answers. @barnson said
that making a dual mode package is not supported yet and tagged the issue
as a goal for milestone 4.x. @robmen said that dual mode packaging is
supported but I would need to post on the mailing list for further
information.

Any clarification to this issue would be greatly appreciated. I know that
some are of the opinion that perUser installs are dangerous but the reality
is that for some users, getting admin privileges poses a big hassle and
time cost, and so I would like to support these types of users without
degrading the experience of those who do have admin privileges.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew Palermo