[wix-users] WiX Bundle upgrade or install new to run side by side

Justin Cox cox.justin.a at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 14:10:22 PST 2017

I do something similar with a web application installer.  It installs three
separate web apps, and if it detects that it's overwriting or upgrading an
existing application, or installing a new one.

The problem is with RemoveExistingProducts.  If I install
WebApplication200, then later install WebApplication201 as side-by-side, it
will uninstall WebApplication200 in the process during
"RemoveExistingProducts". If you disable RemoveExistingProducts, then the
installer will not overwrite any files if you try to install over top of
WebApplication200.

My solution was a custom action that checked to see if a web application of
the same name existing, rename the folder to WebApplication200_BAK, install
the new one, then copy back and preserved files.  Easy to implement, but
much harder to configure the uninstall and rollbacks.