[wix-users] displays property search on Welcome screen...

Lewis Henderson henderso at opentext.com
Wed Feb 1 12:32:44 PST 2017

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a slight issue with my WiX installer.  I've got a complicated set of RegistrySearch/Property settings for Java detection and version validation, and all of that happens either before or right after AppSearch.  The problem is that on my Welcome screen (standard WelcomeDlg) it has "Searching for installed applications" below the intro text (which is expected), but also has a line below it:

Property: JDK_JVM, Signature: jdk_jvm

that is displayed until the AppSearch finishes and the Back and Next buttons are enabled - this may take several seconds.  This is not a breaking issue as the install works fine afterwards, but it's showing something the user shouldn't see.

How can I eliminate this?

To give you some context, here's part of the property setup:

    <Property Id="JDK_VERSION" Secure="yes">
      <RegistrySearch Id="jdk_ver" Root="HKLM"
                      Key="Software\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit"
                      Name="CurrentVersion" Type="raw" />
    </Property>
    <Property Id="JDK_HOME" Secure="yes">
      <RegistrySearch Id="jdk_home" Root="HKLM"
                      Key="Software\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit\[JDK_VERSION]"
                      Name="JavaHome" Type="raw" />
    </Property>
    <Property Id="JDK_JVM" Secure="yes">
      <DirectorySearch Id="jdk_jvm" Path="[JDK_HOME]" Depth="3">
        <FileSearch Name="jvm.dll" />
      </DirectorySearch>
    </Property>

    <SetProperty Id="JAVA_HOME" Value="[JDK_HOME]" Action="SetJAVA_HOME2"
                 After="AppSearch">NOT JAVA_HOME AND (JDK_JVM AND
                                                           JDK_VERSION >= "$(var.JavaMinVersion)")</SetProperty>

It's a lot more complex that this, because It checks for a JRE.vs.JDK and 32.vs.64 bit and so on...

Thanks for any help you can give.

                                                                Lewis Henderson
                                                                OpenText, Inc.