[wix-users] Burn Bootstrapper Console Output

Artur Ampilogov a-artur at yandex.ru
Sun Dec 24 23:37:27 PST 2017

Hi,

I understand that console and UI applications have different PE-headers.

For the users it is still inconvenient not be able to call a help page in the console.
Creating both versions, console and UI, are often driven by the business, e.g. support cmd, docker (server core) and UI installation.

For those who are interested in this, I found a solution:
1) Check that BA is running in the headless mode (no GUI) – review LaunchAction property.
2) Search for the parent process,
it can be done by calling win api NtQueryInformationProcess function: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/394816/how-to-get-parent-process-in-net-in-managed-way

3) For every iteration with the parent, grandparent, grandgrandparent process, check if it’s possible to connect with the console by calling win api AttachConsole https://stackoverflow.com/questions/807998/how-do-i-create-a-c-sharp-app-that-decides-itself-whether-to-show-as-a-console-o
4) If successfully attached – AttachConsole returns true – we can simply write to console output with Console.WriteLine(…)

Different cases were tested and they are all working fine with this solution.

Merry Christmas,
Artur