[wix-users] Dos and Don'ts of Patch

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 04:55:51 PST 2017

I have an MSI through which I am creating some App Pools and setting their
properties, apart from deploying some files. I am also building a Patch in
which I am updating some properties of the App Pools. When I install the
patch, the properties of the app pools are getting updated with the patch,
but when I roll back or uninstall the patch, some of the properties don't
seem to be getting rolled back to their previous values, like IdleTimout,
CpuUsage etc. Has anyone faced this? If so, were you able to find a
solution?

Also, what are the Dos and Don'ts in a Patch? Is patch only meant for
making minor file changes or also minor changes like property values of app
pools and so on. There doesn't seem to be good documentation on Patches.
Also, I am trying to understand the Patch Classification. Most of the
samples are of type Update. I have not seen other classification types like
HotFix. I am not sure what is the essential difference between the various
options. Again this also doesn't seem to be well documented. Please explain.

Regards,
Venkatesh