[wix-users] Stop & Start Service

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 09:28:54 PST 2017

Perhaps this webapp is the only one deployed today to this IIS service...
but IIS can host multiple sites and multiple webapps. Stopping and starting
IIS affects all sites and webapps which could be really, really bad if
those other sites and webapps suddenly go down without notice. For this
reason, IIS supports the concept of AppPools which allows you to separate
unrelated sites and webapps from each other in different processes. You
should be creating a unique AppPool that you own so that you can stop and
start that AppPool rather than the default AppPool or the entire IIS
service. Perhaps a set of related sites and/or webapps could reuse the same
AppPool you should do so carefully. Restarting all of IIS is a *bad*
requirement.

--
Edwin G. Castro