[wix-users] Chrome enterprise deployment

Carlos Sosa carlos.sosa.us at outlook.com
Wed Dec 13 23:21:06 PST 2017

After a long day I think I got to understand more things however, I can not get it to do what I need. I think I can pass the /install using the variable (havent gotten to that yet, it install with out passing it for now)
But the mayor issue is that I would like to NOT INSTALL chrome if its already installed, for that I'm trying to use DirectorySearch.... because I couldn't find a reference to a registry entry for Chrome. There are some entries in the registry but look like GUIs...
The problam is that the Directory search evaluates to THE PATH if dir found not true or false, and if it is not found doesn't get set to anything I just get the "didn't found path..."

What can I do?
Is there a better way to check if Chrome is installed?
Any help is appreciated, I already tried really hard to figure it out.

Best.

Log
******************
Setting string variable 'HelloWorld2' to value 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\CrashReports'
[06D4:0638][2017-12-13T23:06:10]i000: Directory search: wdsEF92FB2D61F4B39D12FED7A7A18D428E, did not find path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application, reason: 0x80070003
[06D4:0638][2017-12-13T23:06:10]i102:
******************

<!--To test later
<Variable Name="MyVar" Value="/install"/>-->

    <!--If dir not found I need to install Chrome-->
    <util:DirectorySearch Variable="HelloWorld" Path= "[ProgramFilesFolder]Google\Chrome\Application"/>
   <!--Another test, this dir is actually present when installing or unistalling Chrome, but if found it evaluates to the actual Path not true or false-->
    <util:DirectorySearch Variable="HelloWorld2" Path= "[ProgramFilesFolder]Google\CrashReports"/>

      <?if HelloWorld2 = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\CrashReports" ?>
      <Variable Name="VS2013Installed" Value="true"/>
    <?else ?>
      <Variable Name="VS2013Installed" Value="false"/>
    <?endif?>

      <Chain>

       <MsiPackage
                 SourceFile = "$(var.ProjectDir)Lib\googlechromestandaloneenterprise64.msi"
                 InstallCondition="HelloWorld2 = "false""
                 Id='Chrome'
                 Vital='no'
                 Description='Installing Google Chrome'
                 DisplayName='Google Chrome'>