[wix-users] Conditional uninstall of related product.

Hoover, Jacob Jacob.Hoover at greenheck.com
Tue Dec 12 09:31:34 PST 2017

Just throwing an idea out here wanting to see if there are any pitfalls I am missing.

I have a new requirement to allow for conditionally leaving older versions of my application around (think of it as being similar to Office versions).  I have changed the needed Product and Upgrade codes, but as the Upgrade table and Windows Installer doesn't allow for conditional upgrades I have instead written a semi-custom CA for dynamically populating the upgrade table based on a BA install option that I then pass to the MSI as a property. I schedule my CA to run always, in both sequences immediately before FindRelatedProducts.  My CA appends temporary rows to the Upgrade table (based off of a static property which is a list of prior version upgrade codes), and then appends the dynamically named action properties to the SecureCustomProperties property.

This seems to work in my limited testing, but I would appreciate any feedback on the concept.

Thanks,
Jacob