[wix-users] VC Runtime: Merge Module vs Original installer

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Wed Aug 30 13:25:54 PDT 2017

Oh but MDAC sure tried. 😊   Sad thing is I still come across installers using that despite the fact that all versions of Windows since my first born came into my iife already have MDAC components installed. And she's in high school now. 😲

+1000 on what Bob is saying here.  I rarely, repeat rarely,  include third party merge modules in my installers.  I stopped years ago.  Merge modules I create are one thing but third party merge modules always greatly increase the chances of problems in my MSI.  I'm pretty sure I recall MSFT saying as much many years ago.  Feels like eons ago.   Use burn to create a bundle and keep your MSI nice and clean.