[wix-users] after build WixUtilExtension - "Strong name validation failed" on other machines

Zoli P zoli289 at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 28 01:08:50 PDT 2017

Hi,

I had to fix a bug in the WixUtilExtension.dll source to support registry
paths in quotes (I explained earlier on this mailing list under "heat
generates different wxs after compiler change of our com dll" what was that
exactly, change is in
"\src\ext\UtilExtension\wixext\UtilFinalizeHarvesterMutator.cs").
Then I compiled with VS2015 cmd prompt + "msbuild wix.proj"
It works fine, I can use WIX on my machine.

However, when I copy the new binaries to other machines, and try to use WIX
there, I have this error:

candle.exe : error CNDL0144 : The extension
'R:\External\Wix\WixUtilExtension.dll' could not be loaded because of the
following reason: Could not load file or assembly 'WixUtilExtension,
Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,

PublicKeyToken=ce35f76fcda82bad' or one of its dependencies. Strong name
validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)

I guess the msbuild did something on my machine what makes it work, and
that is missing on the other machines? But with the original downloaded
binaries, no such issue.
Why I have this error?
Do you know what is the best + quickest way to fix it? I could maybe try to
switch off strong name validation for this file with "sn"...but maybe a
better solution?

Thanks, Zoli