[wix-users] Install an exe while my installer is running?

William Fisher wfisher at summa.com
Fri Aug 11 09:12:50 PDT 2017

I second Jacob Hoover's comment.

I had a SQL Server install.  You can use your custom UI with SQL install,
which I think is a better user experience anyway.  Here's how I did it for
SQL Server Express 2014:

  <Fragment>
    <util:RegistrySearch
      Id='SearchForSQLServerExpress64'
      Variable="ISSQLSERVER64INSTALLED"
      Result="exists"
      Root="HKLM"
      Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL12.$(var.InstanceName)"
      Win64="yes" />
    <PackageGroup Id="SQLServerExpress2014_64Bit">
      <ExePackage Compressed="yes"
                  PerMachine="yes"
                  Cache="yes"
                  Vital="yes"
                  Permanent="no"
                  InstallCommand='/ACTION=Install /Q
/IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /FEATURES=SQLEngine
/INSTANCENAME=$(var.InstanceName)
/SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=BUILTIN\Administrators /SECURITYMODE=SQL
/SAPWD="Password1!" /SkipRules=RebootRequiredCheck'
                  UninstallCommand='/ACTION=Uninstall /Q
/FEATURES=SQLEngine /INSTANCENAME=$(var.InstanceName)'
                  SourceFile='redist\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe'
                  Name="redist\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe"
                  DetectCondition="Installed OR ISSQLSERVER64INSTALLED"
                  InstallCondition="VersionNT64">
        <ExitCode Behavior="forceReboot"/>
      </ExePackage>
    </PackageGroup>
  </Fragment>

And include in your <Chain> a <PackageGroupRef
Id="SQLServerExpress2014_64Bit"/>