[wix-users] MSI setup for ASP.NET Core application

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Sat Aug 5 18:58:49 PDT 2017

This website purports to having the step by step instructions on how to deploy an asp.net core website on iis:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/publishing/iis

I briefly followed these instructions but wasn't successful yet.  I have a project template for ASP.NET in IsWiX already. I used that and then after the install  tried installing the hosting pack they mention (this would need to be added to a burn bootstrapper)  and to change the application pool to not run CLR.  I also made your my test webapi project had the nugget package and the iis integration code in the builder pattern.  I also made sure vs2015 c++ runtime was installed and finally I rebooted the server.  I could see in the event viewer that asp.net core module was listening  on a port but neither iis or that port would serve me a page.

I was probably really close.  If you have working app code and step by step manual procedures I should be able to translate this into WiX.  I'm afraid I just haven't had anyone want this yet and my day job is so bent on going JavaScript in docker containers that I just don't have this recipe ready for you yet.