[wix-users] WiX Bundle Upgrade Issue

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 09:28:43 PDT 2017

I don't expect the bundle to remove your current MSI. I expect your
MSI is removing the older version. If you're using major upgrades,
then use the UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE property to help determine if you're
getting uninstalled for an upgrade.

>From https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa369786.aspx

<quote>
You can condition custom actions that are sequenced after
InstallValidate to handle major upgrades by using the
UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE property:

If you want a custom action to run during an uninstallation of the
product, but not during the removal of the product by a major upgrade,
use this condition.

REMOVE="ALL" AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE

If you want a custom action to run only during a major upgrade, use
this condition.

UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE
</quote>

Note that the cached MSI for the old version performs the uninstall
which means it must already have the clean-up custom action with an
appropriate condition. If you have already released, then you'll need
to patch that MSI out on the field before it will do the right thing.

--
Edwin G. Castro