[wix-users] WiX Bundle Log File location to ProgramData

Vanniekerk, Tyrel (GE Healthcare) tyrel.vanniekerk at ge.com
Wed Apr 5 11:24:37 PDT 2017

Hi,

I have used the following XML to set the log file location in my bootstrapper and the LogPathVariable in the MSI XML to pass the info to the MSI and that works great.  The files get created in %Temp%\ProductName and start with the correct FilePrefix.

         <Log PathVariable="Temp" Prefix="ProductName\FilePrefix" />

However, now they want the log files to go to the %ProgramData%\ProductName folder (Normally C:\ProgramData\ProductName) so that the files will be accessible by anyone on that machine.  I know you can run a custom action on a WiX project to copy the files after the fact, but of course you still loose come of the file content because the installer is not done yet, but with a bootstrapper there are normally at least two log files, three if the MSI has an issue (rollback file).  We always run as administrator and the user running it is also an actual admin, so has access to all these folders.

When I change the above XML to the next XML, I get no log file (or can't find it).
                <Log PathVariable="ProgramData" Prefix="ProductName\FilePrefix" />

Anyone have an idea what the issue is?  Is it a limitation of WiX?

Thanks,
Tyrel