[wix-users] Testing for the existence of a folder prior to installation

Gister, Carey Carey.Gister at sony.com
Fri Sep 30 17:33:53 PDT 2016

Hi,

I am fairly new to the WiX world.  I am building an installer with WiX and I have a problem that I haven't been able to solve.

A requirement is that I install our application into a designated folder off of the root of a drive.  If the folder already exists, I want to notify the user and abort.  The folder may exist because the user created the an installation procedure that existed prior to my development of the WiX installer or it may exist because the user simply created a folder with that name.

I have tried to implement this test with custom actions and with directorysearches and everything I have tried doesn't work.

What is the best way to perform this test and issue an error message to the user?

Thanks,

Carey